Sunday, March 26, 2023

On Longing

"The Body is the primary mode of perceiving scale"


I chose this photo as without the presence of my hand, it would be tough (but not impossible) to tell how big the bat plushie is.



"The souvenir speaks to a context of origin through a language of longing, for it is not an object arising out of need or use value"


Although at the time, the playbill was useful as it gave us information about the show we were going to watch, it is no longer useful today. Despite this, the playbill remains on my bookshelf.



"The souvenir reduces the public, the monumental, and the three-dimensional into the miniature, that which can be enveloped by the body"


This ring was bought during one of the first times my whole family came to spend a weekend with me after I moved to college. Even when I am not in my college town, I still have a reminder of it that I can keep on my body.



"To have a souvenir of the exotic is to possess both a specimen and a trophy"


When my family and I went to Pompeii, I took a rock off of the ground as a souvenir. I unfortunately do not have a photo of me holding the rock, but I am fairly certain that I was looking for one when this photo was taken.



"The place of origin must remain unavailable in order for desire to be generated"


This photo was taken during the RIP Tour of Halloween Horror Nights that my family and I went on- something we will likely never do again. Although this photo may not be of a souvenir itself, I do still have the VIP pass from this night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Natural History of the Senses Relief Sculpture

  Mirrors Large Mirror, Mirror Shards, Foam board 14" x 14" x 1"     This sculpture is inspired by a very specific passage in...